Quilting A to Z taught by Ann Peck
Learn quilting from A to Z! Ann teaches this class by using the projects in the Start Quilting with Alex Anderson: Everything First-Time Quilters Need to Succeed.
This class covers basic skills and following techniques:
- Selecting fabrics
- Rotary Cutting
- Piecing multiple blocks
- Strip piecing with both templates and quick piecing methods
- Sewing and pressing
- Squaring blocks
- Setting blocks
- Attaching borders
- Pin basting
- Quilting designs and techniques by hand and machine
- Working with bias edges, triangles and strips
Question: Eight weeks? What does that cover?
- Week 1: Intro to quilting and fabric selection
- Week 2: Learn to cut properly; cut borders, sashing; and strips for rail fence block; 1/4" seam and how to make on consistently.
- Week 3: Basic blocks: nine-patch, square dance and log cabin.
- Week 4: Half-square triangle and friendship block
- Week 5: Quarter-square triangle and flying geese block
- Week 6: Quilt layout and assembly; batting discussion
- Week 7: Quilting: hand and machine (overview)
- Week 8: Binding, hanging sleeve and label
Question: What happens if I miss a class?
Answer: If you miss a class, Anne will email or mail you the handout for that class and answer any questions you may have the following week if time permits. There will not be any makeup classes. If you miss a class, come to the subsequent classes - you can still learn how to quilt! Obviously it's to your advantage to attend all classes, but we all know life happens. :)
Question: What about Covid-19 concerns?
Answer: All attendees and the instructor will wear masks the entire time. You will be working at your own table with your own things. In the event that there is a hands-on activity, Ann can supply small rubber gloves. If you have larger hands, you may want to include a pair in your kit.